report mainbanner

venue: Leeds

27th January 2010


Burgan (25), Ackerley (52), Syron (68)


Kerman 1/3

Full Match Report


Wales gave an outstanding performance in both attack and defence to overcome England Community Lions 28-14 at the John Charles Centre for Sport on Wednesday night. It was the sixth win in the last seven games for the Welsh youngsters with their only blip coming against a strong Australian side last month. England had a few early chances to score with successive sets of six and pressed the Welsh backline. It took a fine take from full-back Rhys Evans to deny Kirk Collins an early try after Ian Kerman planted a cheeky grubber on the final tackle of the second set.

But it was Wales Chris Davies made the metres, his power taking him through the English defence, and two plays later, hooker Kyle Blackmore forced his way over from dummy half. Lewis Reece missed the conversion.

From the next attack, Wales doubled their lead after Dafydd Carter scored from close range but Reece failed to add the extras from an acute angle. Wales scored a third from the final tackle of their next set after Lewis Reece took advantage of some slack England defending to catch a loose ball for an easy try. Loren Quick attempted the conversion but like Reece before him was unsuccessful. England looked like they'd hit back straight away when Glenn Riley slid home but the referee pulled play back for off-side.

However they made up for it minutes later when Danny Burgan powered through for a fine individual try on the left wing. Ian Kerman failed to convert. But Wales restored the balance after man of the match Rhys Evans picked up a loose ball running 60 metres to score underneath the sticks. Quick's goal made the score 4-18. And the visitors ran in their fifth try from kick-off following a fine passing move. Rhys Fenton was the scorer after fine work from Lewis Reece and Rhys Evans. Quick converted again and the half-time score was 24-4 to Wales.

Owain Griffiths nearly added to the Wales score straight from kick-off in the second half but was held up over the line. But intense England pressure finally led to a try when full-back Shane Ackerley found a rare gap in the Welsh back-line and sprinted over. Kerman missed his conversion for the second time. Wales hit back again after Reece scored his second try of the evening after good build up from Dale Evans and Chris Davies. Quick couldn't complete a hat-trick of conversions. The young Dragons continued to keep England out. Glenn Riley was stopped short on the final tackle of a set as Wales held firm. But they finally broke through with two minutes to go as Matthew Syron dived over from close range with Kerman adding the extras.

Pictured: Lewis Reece.
Photo credit:

Rhys Evans, Rhys Fenton, Owen Williams, Loren Quick, Dan Godwin, Dafydd Carter, Dale Evans, Ben Evans, Kyle Blackmore, Adam Davies, Chris Davies, Dale Blackmore, Lewis Reece. Subs: Owain Griffiths, Nathan Hawkins, Lewis Jones, Rhodri Lloyd 

Shane Ackerly, Joe Bullock, Reece Lazenby, Blake Mahovic, Jonathon Frodsham, Callum Phillips, Ian Kerman, Kirk Collins, Alistair Leak, Stephen Welton, David Orwell, Glenn Riley, Matthew Huby. Subs: Drew Johnson, Daniel Bergon, Matthew Syron, Gary Sergeant 


Rugby League